Quantitative Research Assistant, Center for Applied Linguistics
Division/Program Area: PreK-12 ELL Assessment, Psychometrics and Quantitative Research
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full-time)
Position Available: Immediately
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Provides research and development support for project-specific tasks and activities. Responsible for carrying out project activities as assigned, contributing to the completion of project tasks and deliverables. The language test development Quantitative Research Assistant will work closely with members of Psychometrics/Research team to support a broad range of research activities related to psychometric and research projects within CAL. Research will include language testing and applied linguistics projects.
- Provide research support for CAL projects, including literature searches, data collection (from focus groups, interviews, secondary/archival sources, and surveys), analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, and report preparation.
- May assist in development of current and future projects by conducting research on topics for new studies, writing proposals, and identifying potential sponsors.
- Interact and collaborate with internal project teams on a regular basis.
- Apply skills in cultural competence when interacting with clients and constituents, and CAL staff.
- Participate in the conduct of activities designed to achieve CAL’s strategic plan goals
- Assist project teams in the preparation of data for analysis and reporting (e.g., collecting, entering, scoring, transforming, recoding, validating, cleaning, merging, restructuring of data), taking appropriate steps to ensure quality.
- Conduct data analysis using statistical software such as SPSS.
- Assist project teams in preparing technical reports.
- Assist project teams in preparing presentation materials.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in a relevant field with 4 years’ of experience, or Master’s degree (MA/MS) in a relevant field preferred.
Experience writing SPSS Syntax is a plus.
Experience in language testing or bilingual education is a plus.
- Strong analytic skills. Some training in research methodology and quantitative analysis preferred.
- Excellent skills in basic office business software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently and to work successfully in a team environment is essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Acute attention to detail and strong work ethic
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- A combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources, Recruitment 15-08
Attn: Recruitment 15-08
CAL offers a comfortable work environment with competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Tenleytown/AU Metro Station on the Red Line.
The Center for Applied Linguistics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not related to employment.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.