AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM ESOL INTERN
SANCTUARY FOR FAMILIES
Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading nonprofit agency dedicated exclusively to serving the needs of survivors of domestic violence and sex trafficking, and their children. We offer a comprehensive, interconnected range of services including crisis and transitional shelter, individual and group counseling, legal services, economic empowerment services, a mentoring program, and a specialized program for children who have witnessed or experienced abuse.
Sanctuary for Families envisions a society in which freedom from domestic violence is a basic human right. We are dedicated to the safety, healing, and self-sufficiency of survivors of domestic violence and sex trafficking, and their children.
AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Our comprehensive after-school program for at-risk teens includes academic tutoring with a focus on Regents exams, life skills development, civic engagement activities, and supportive counseling.
The ESOL intern will work closely with the Teen Program Coordinator to create individualized academic plans for Spanish speaking teens as well as provide them with ongoing academic support in the form of homework help. In addition the intern will work towards broadening these student’s horizons through a one-to-one tutoring relationship or through small group instruction.
- Co-develops individualized academic plans with Spanish-speaking teens
- Prepares lesson plans based on the needs and interests of the student(s)
- Respects and invests the student(s) by involving him/her in decisions about the learning process
- Administers regular and varied academic assessments, and documents students’ progress as well as areas of development
- Meets with the student(s) on a bi-weekly basis to conference about progress and to discuss next steps
- Keeps in contact with and updates the Program Coordinator of participants’ progress or presenting obstacle.
- Guides the student(s) in his/her understanding of American culture
- Contacts participants’ school/Guidance Counselor to monitor progress, further assess academic needs and be updated on emotional/social needs.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Education or certification in TESOL
- Must be fluent in Spanish (oral and written)
- Minimum 1 year experience teaching English to speakers of other languages
- Experience working with adolescents preferred
- Excellent analytical skills, organizational skills, and high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and adhere to deadlines
- Sensitivity to the needs of underserved clients; an understanding of or interest in the issue of domestic violence; and cultural competency when working with a diverse population
- Minimum time commitment 15-20 hours per week
How to Apply:
Please fill out a volunteer application on our website, www.sanctuaryforfamilies.org, and email it to the Volunteer Program at email@example.com.
This is an unpaid position, but we are willing to work with the intern’s academic institution to provide the intern with credit.
For more information on this and other opportunities, visit our website.