Please Note that this position will start on Tuesday, January 20th 2015.
About the Organization
Global Language Project (GLP) is an educational nonprofit that works with public elementary schools to set up and maintain second language programs to empower students to compete in a globalized world and workforce.
About the Position
We currently have two positions available. Please note that one teacher can work both of these positions, or they can be broken into two separate positions.
Position 1: Mandarin teacher for K and 1st grade students at a school in Morningside Heights/West Harlem from 4pm – 5pm on Mondays and 5pm – 6pm on Thursdays
Position 2: Mandarin teacher for 2nd and 3rd grade students at a school in Morningside Heights/West Harlem from 4pm – 5pm on Tuesdays and 5pm – 6pm on Fridays
Through the GLP Mandarin curriculum and program, students are introduced to language through interactive instruction, cultural activities, music and games. The emphasis is on oral communication and learning about other cultures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Helps students, individually and in groups, with creative and well integrated lesson plans
- Communicates effectively with supervisors, parents, students and partner schools
- Maintains quality results by following and enforcing standards
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience in foreign language teaching
- Experience working with pre-school or elementary aged children
- Experience working with students with diverse backgrounds
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Success in incorporating creative, hands-on art and music based activities, as well as other co-operative learning activities
Please send cover letter and resume to: Elisabeth Shovers, firstname.lastname@example.org. Write ‘Part Time Mandarin Teacher’ in the subject line of your email. Please indicate if you are interested in one specific position listed above, or both positions.